You work hard for the nice things you have. You don’t want one mistake to take it all away. An Umbrella policy helps to protect you and make sure that doesn’t happen. Why do you need an Umbrella policy? Here are a few examples:
You have a momentary distraction while driving. Even the best driver may cause an accident with serious injuries and property damage.
You injure a water skier while boating.
Someone slips on your sidewalk or falls while walking down the stairs. Hospital and doctor visits can add up quickly, and if the injury happened on your property, you could be responsible for covering the costs.
An umbrella insurance policy provides additional liability coverage over and above coverage you carry on your personal insurance policies covering cars, homes, boats, etc.
For example, if you have a covered accident that leaves you liable for $750,000 worth of damage, and you have $500,000 of liability coverage for that accident from your auto policy, your umbrella policy will pay the additional $250,000.
Who needs umbrella insurance? Umbrella insurance is not required. It’s commonly purchased by people who:
- Own property.
- Have significant savings or other assets.
- Are worried about liability claims against them when they travel outside the U.S.
- Own things that can lead to injury lawsuits such as pools, trampolines and dogs (check with your insurer to make sure your breed is covered).
- Engage in activities that increase your chances of being sued, such as:
- Being a landlord.
- Coaching kids’ sports.
- Serving on the board of a nonprofit.
- Regularly posting reviews of products and businesses.
- Participating in sports where you could easily injure others (skiing, surfing, hunting, etc.).
To learn more about umbrella insurance coverage, contact Wheat State Insurance Group. You can send us a message by filling out the request a quote form above, you can give our office a call (877) 226-8072, or visit us at one of our locations.